If you are a millennial, branding self is your way of life. You know what it takes to separate yourself from your parents and others who are doing what you do. If you've been around the block a couple of times, branding to you may be fitting into the brand of your employer to model yourself after the company.
A lot has changed since I graduated from undergrad. Grad school was pre-online. Since then I've noticed the more things change, the more they seem to stay the same. In this new way of doing business and career search, if you are not changing, you will find nothing changing for you.
As a small business consultant and certified life coach, I work with corporate brands as well as personal brands. No... I'm not a branding coach, BUT, branding is more than just an idea, a logo and color. It's an impression of you. Not that those characteristics aren't important, but there is more to a brand that often goes unnoticed. Branding is building a message around a package that represents what is delivered. It separates you from others and makes you one of a kind. Here are 5 ways to help you identify with you and build a brand around what you consider marketable.
Your personal brand should answer…
1. Who are you? No one can answer this better than you. You should know what you represent and how you want to have it represented. Understanding what you bring to the table is key to your success. Knowing how you bring it is even more important. Have a clear message that speaks volumes even if you aren’t in the room.
2. What’s your story? This is what makes each of us unique. Yes, you have a story and probably a darn good one too. No matter how big or small, it has significance. None of our stories are the same and all have facts that make it worth listening to and sharing.
3. Why is your story relevant? Relevance is key in personal branding. It identifies why people should want to know more about what and how you do it. The impact of your story should be your "ah ha" moment. What makes it personal and how does it describe what's taking place in your life right now?
4. Who is it for? In business, this would be your target market. You can’t speak to everyone and expect an answer. Why? Because everyone won’t need to hear what you have to say. Be specific in how you identify who it is for. This can be challenging if you don’t drill down and have clarity on what that target looks like.
5. How can your story help others? Your story is your testimony. What did you do to overcome where you are or were? If it changed your life, it may possibly change someone else’s too. Don’t be afraid to share your victories, your struggles, your trials and your tribulations. It identifies you and what you are becoming.
Upon answering these questions with clarity and a message to promote, you are well on your way to marketing your value and pricing your worth. Don’t ever underestimate your worth. If no one values it, make certain you do. Never compromise with it either. In the end, the more you do to excel in your life with knowledge, experience and education, the more you will find yourself free to be who you want to be in every way.
Need clarity in how to be specific, focused and paid for your brand? Contact me here for a one on one. Go into 2018 confident, prepared and ready to dominate your brand.
Until next time, go and start building your brand,